Wednesday 30 September 2009

WAR Group C reaction to danca pessoal

Hey all! We're back, today it's just Martin and Jo. We had more fun looking at some of the postings, and here are some thoughts we wanted to share on David's key word.

Jo- I'm coming to this from an acting (particularly movement based) and dance background. The videos of the inspiration (butoh, push pull, Grotowski) were things familiar to me. It was nice to see how these came together in the performances of the LUME theatre. What I found intriguing was how this danca pessoal was not originally meant to be a performance style. These are exercises that help performers (well, anyone, really) learn how to access their bodies, to engage in unfamiliar movement patters, to possess qualities of control and specificity in their movements, and how to utilize this in performance to communicate things to an audience. I would love to hear more of the story of the LUME theatre and see how this developed into the performances. Did the story come first, and elements of the dance style were used to give life to the piece? Or did they want to turn these exercises into a performance style and this is what came about?

Martin - Coming from a total different background (social urbanism),the "danza pessoal" took me to the opposite, to collective (unaware) dances. Can we think of our daily trips as "choreographies" in a broader sense / space?
Specially the part of the coat dressed performers running in place, took me automatically to Buenos Aires` rush hour, with thousands of daytrippers "travelling without (really) moving".

This might be a funny example of somebody making art of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4nS6ke6gms

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys, I'm really glad with the 'reaction'. I do think it's important to have people interetested in embodiment performances in the scenic point of view after all the 'globalization/tran-national/cosmopolitan/definitions/concepts/everything-is-relative discourses. hehe.

    About the 'Danca Pessoal' as mean of performance and as a performance, I believe LUME initially thought of it as a methodology only. But I did two residencies with them and got to know some groups that have them as a mirror to their productions, and I realized that for some of them (other groups) Danca Pessoal ended up being the performance per se. I heard one brazilian actress, in the creative process of her non-verbal version of Medea (yes, not too original huh?), saying: 'guys, we don't have much time, let's finish these 3 scenes with a Danca Pessoal and that's all!'

    If you want to learn more about LUME: http://www.lumeteatro.com.br/index.php?lang=english

    I got excited with all this blogging thing again. I created one when I was in China (lived there for the past 2 years) but ended up not being able to access it because most of the blogs were blocked (and I didn't know the heavenly advent of a proxy).
    http://lostinperformance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.