Wednesday 30 September 2009

Warwick Group 1 Provocation Piece Clarifications

Hello all. We just wanted to clarify a couple of things about our provocation piece.

First, there was some curiosity as to how we chose to whom to address our individual remarks. For the most part, we chose individuals who we assumed would not understand our native languages, as well as, in some cases, individuals with whom we had some other connection. Except for me, Justin, who, of course, speaking mainly in English, assumed everyone would understand me (as much as the technology and my own cold-damaged voice would allow). I chose David just because I have a very close friend named David!

There was also some curiosity about what was actually said. Part of the appeal we hoped the presentation would have was in the mystery of non-comprehension. For the most part, even we didn't know what our partners were saying. Hence, we chose not to provide any translations as a group. If you really REALLY want to know, please feel free to get in touch with us individually-- I'm sure the secrets can be begged or bought!

2 comments:

  1. The fact that you choose not to translate even to each other what you said, adds another layer to your performance in my mind.

    And now that it is a secret, I want to know more about what you said.

    Would you prefer me to beg or buy? I can exchange secrets?

    Nese

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you appreciated the "unknown"!

    You're welcome to know what I said-- just the bit about my first language, Diola (shan't translate the curses-- too blue!) and the story about my reluctance to learn French after my kindergarten teacher berated me for drawing a house instead of "un homme". Not sure that's worth a secret in exchange!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.